The wait is finally over—OTA files and bureau images are going live for a initial open Android Q beta. If you’re a propitious owners of a Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Google Pixel 2, Google Pixel 2 XL, Google Pixel 3, or Google Pixel 3 XL (yes – all 3 Pixel generations are being supported), afterwards we have a event to exam a subsequent vital Android chronicle right now by possibly flashing a refurbish manually or enrolling in a beta and receiving a refurbish over a air. Android 10 Q brings a series of new underline additions including a system-wide dim mode and a revamp in accede management. The initial beta recover is available currently while a final recover is approaching to land in early August.
Keep in mind that this initial preview is directed during developers. Google gives developers a possibility to exam their apps opposite new Android height APIs months before a subsequent Android chronicle becomes accessible for a ubiquitous public. This initial recover won’t have all a new program facilities you’ll come to associate with Android Q. Google will expected betray a garland of new facilities during Google I/O 2019 that starts May 7th. We’ll of march be extensively covering Android Q, since we know a readers can’t wait to get their hands on an central recover or a tradition ROM. For now, though, Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 3 users can suffer a recover before anyone else.
Download Android Q Beta 1 for a Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, or Pixel 3 XL
You can download a OTA picture files to directly refurbish from a latest March 2019 confidence patch release for a Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, and Pixel 3 XL. If we have an unbarred bootloader and have mutated a foot picture to implement TWRP or Magisk, you’ll need to peep a bureau picture file. General instructions on how to do so can be found in a subsequent section.
Be certain to join a forums for a Pixel, Pixel 2, and Pixel 3 inclination if you’re meddlesome in deliberating a Android Q releases.
If we implement a refurbish and notice something new that we haven’t already found, send us a tip and we could get a free month of XDA Ad-Free if we write an essay formed on your tip! Also if we implement a update, be certain to check out the feedback and bug report page. Google is also monitoring a new subreddit on Reddit for feedback.
How to implement Android Q Beta 1 on a Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, or Pixel 3 XL
If your device is secure or you’ve done any changes to a complement or businessman partitions, you’ll need to implement Android Q regulating a bureau image. If we haven’t unbarred a bootloader nonetheless and are on a latest Android Pie release, afterwards we can sideload a OTA to save some time. Before we begin, set adult ADB and Fastboot by following this tutorial.
- Download a right OTA record for your device from a list above.
- With your phone booted into Android and plugged into your PC, open a authority prompt or depot window in a same office where we stored a ADB binary.
- Enter a following authority to enter liberation mode:
Windows Command Prompt:
adb reboot recovery
.adb reboot recovery
./adb reboot recovery
- Once in liberation mode, name “apply refurbish from ADB.”
- Enter a following authority to sideload a Android Q OTA refurbish file:
Windows Command Prompt:
adb sideload ota_file.zip
.adb sideload ota_file.zip
./adb sideload ota_file.zip
where “ota_file.zip” is a name of a OTA record we downloaded in step 1.
- Reboot a phone by selecting a “reboot complement now” option.
- Download a Android Q bureau picture for your device from one of a links in a list above.
- Extract a bureau picture file.
- In a folder, you’ll see a bootloader image, a radio image, a zip file, one Windows collection file, and dual .sh book files. If we don’t caring about wiping all your information and only wish to refurbish right away, afterwards go forward and double click on flash-all.bat if you’re on Windows or flash-all.sh if you’re on macOS/Linux (after creation it executable).
- If we wish to peep a bureau picture but wiping your data, afterwards revise a flash-all.bat book (Windows) or flash-all.sh book (macOS/Linux) in a content editor and mislay a “-w” authority from a “fastboot -w update” line. Then, we can ensue to start a flash-all script.
If we wish to see screenshots of any step, this guide will assistance you. Although it was created to assistance users peep monthly confidence patch updates, a stairs are a same to peep a vital Android release.
Android Q, here we come!
A series of writers on a team, myself included, have already begun installing Android Q on a Pixel devices. We will be documenting a new facilities that we find in a initial preview release. Thanks to an early leak, we’ve managed to expose a lot of sum about Android Q weeks before release. Be certain to follow a Android Q tab for all a latest news on a subsequent vital Android version. Here are a articles we suggest we start with to get adult to speed:
- Android Q’s Dark Mode: How Google’s subsequent Android OS will tackle blindingly light themes
- How Android Q improves Privacy and Permission Controls over Android Pie