Apple’s past several days have been noted by dual things: new iPhone and speak of HomePod sales disappointing.
The tech hulk on Monday denounced a new red iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. The handset is partial of a (PRODUCT)RED lineup of inclination from Apple that creates donations to quarrel AIDS. But while Apple was perplexing to applaud that release, a Bloomberg news surfaced, observant a association has been unhappy by HomePod intelligent orator sales and has cut a forecasts. To raise on, a decider this week awarded a long-time Apple obvious foe, VirnetX, a $502 million money windfall.
Get Data Sheet, Fortune’s record newsletter
Needless to say, it wasn’t a best of weeks for Apple. But review on to learn some-more about some of a tech giant’s biggest news from a past week:
- Apple this week expelled a new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. The handsets come with a red tone finish and have a same inner components as a iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus models Apple expelled final year. Since they’re (PRODUCT)RED iPhones, Apple donates a apportionment of a deduction to quarrel AIDS. In a matter this week, Apple pronounced that it’s donated some-more than $160 million to a Global Fund, an classification that works to exterminate AIDS, by a (PRODUCT)RED sales. In further to iPhones, Apple sells (PRODUCT)RED wireless headphones, iPod Touch, and watchbands for a Apple Watch.
- The HomePod intelligent orator Apple expelled progressing this year is proving to be distant reduction appealing to consumers than a association had hoped, according to a news this week from Bloomberg. The news outlet, that cited sources who explain to have believe of Apple’s sales, reported that Apple has reduced a sales foresee on HomePod. The news also pronounced that HomePod sales are distant behind those of a competitors, Amazon Echo and Google Home. Apple, however, has not announced tangible HomePod sales figures.
- A sovereign decider this week systematic Apple to compensate $502 million in indemnification to confidence association VirnetX for allegedly violating 4 patents VirnetX owns. The battle between a companies, that has scarcely spanned a decade, centers on either Apple’s FaceTime, iMessage, and VPN On Demand services violate communications-related patents owned by VirnetX. This isn’t a end, however: a obvious justice recently ruled that a 4 patents are shabby and could assistance Apple overturn a indemnification statute and eventually win a box if a invalidity preference is upheld.
- A news out of Korea this week pronounced the iPhone builder could face sanctions over a business exchange with carriers in that country. According to the news from a Korea Herald, Apple has compulsory a Korean conduit partners to publicize a iPhone and perform repairs on damaged handsets during their possess cost—a probable defilement of internal laws. The Korean Federal Trade Commission is reportedly determining either to excellent Apple for those purported practices. Apple did not respond to a Fortune ask for criticism on a news this week.
- Apple pronounced on Monday that its worldwide business is now 100% powered by purify energy, adult from 96% of all of a comforts opposite 43 countries stating full purify appetite in 2017. Apple combined that nine of a production partners have also concluded to appetite facilities that furnish a company’s products on purify energy, bringing that sum series to 23 partners.
One some-more thing…Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has assimilated a #DeleteFacebook movement to criticism a world’s largest amicable network’s collection of user data and a apparent distribution to third-parties. The news came as Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg testified before Congress over his company’s ongoing scandal.