WASHINGTON — Firefighters helped thousands of residents leave around 550 units after a transformer glow set off alarms in a Bethesda high-rise Saturday morning.
Residents of smoke-affected units in a Promenade Apartments on Pooks Hill Road were evacuated while others easeful in place.
Some 1,100 to 1,500 people have been replaced from a complex’s North Tower and won’t be means to reoccupy, officials say.
Eighteen people were taken to hospitals for diagnosis of smoke-related injuries, along with one firefighter who suffered feverishness exhaustion. Eleven people were taken to a sanatorium for pre-existing medical conditions
The glow started in a electrical room, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue, and fume was seen on mixed floors. The glow is caused approximately $1 million value of damage.
Below is a map of a area where a building is located.
© 2017 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.