I live and die by Google Docs. I’ve used it for years and compensate for additional storage. Google Docs treats me well, and we have zero to protest about. However, we am always on a surveillance for alternatives. One association that seems to be doing all right is Zoho. They have alternatives for scarcely each use we need.
I recently became wakeful that their Writer apparatus underwent a series of improvements. The final time we logged onto my Zoho comment to take a look during their word processor, my end was simple: It’s a workable choice to Google Docs and MS Word 365.
Upon new inspection, we have drawn a opposite conclusion—one that competence make we wish to try Zoho Writer. The one emanate we had was that all we have created for a final seven-or-so years is housed in Google Drive. With a suspicion that I’d need to entrance that content, we wanted to give Zoho Writer a go with it connected to my Google Drive account.
SEE: Google Drive: Tips and tricks for business professionals (Tech Pro Research)
It took me a bit to get those connected. Why? Because a Zoho instructions aren’t utterly clear. Fear not, I’m going to make it easy for you.
But first, since Zoho Writer?
What Zoho author can do
You need to write words. Or during slightest that’s all we consider we need to do. Truth be told, we need to write, format, edit, distribute, post, convert, mail merge, sign, collaborate, and more. Zoho Writer does all of that, and creates it impossibly easy to hoop each step. Even better, Zoho Writer does all of this with a UI that creates all discerning (Figure A).
Zoho managed to emanate a word processor that is each bit a equal (and in some ways superior) to Google Docs and MS Word 365.
But afterwards there’s Google Drive. Without being means to confederate with Google Drive, we (and others) would have emanate with regulating Zoho Writer. Fortunately, there’s a way.
Connecting Google Drive
First off, omit a Zoho directions on joining Google Drive to your Zoho account. Instead, do a following:
- Log into your Zoho account.
- Go to docs.zoho.com.
- In a left navigation (Figure B) click a UPLOAD drop-down.
- Click a Google Drive entry.
- When prompted, click a Authenticate Google button.
- In a ensuing window, name a Google comment to be used (or, if necessary, initial pointer into your Google account).
- When prompted, click Allow to give Zoho Docs accede to entrance your Google Drive account.
You should see a new window seeking we to insert files from Google Drive (Figure C).
Select a files we wish to insert and click Ok. Those files are now permitted from within Zoho Docs. Don’t worry if we skip files, as we can always click a UPLOAD drop-down, name Google Drive, and associate some-more files to Zoho Docs.
Saving to Google Drive
When we emanate a record in Zoho Writer, chances are we wish to save it to your connected Google Drive account. Fortunately, a developers suspicion of that as well. To make this happen, do a following:
- From within Zoho Writer, click a File drop-down.
- Select Save to Other Drives (Figure D)
- Select Google Drive.
- Navigate to a folder that will residence a file.
- Click Add to this folder.
Believe it or not, that newly saved record will be in a default Google Docs format, prepared for editing, sharing, etc. all from within your Google account.
As with all in technology, there is always a caveat. When we go to associate files from Google Drive, we won’t see folders. If we are like me, and we are a stickler for a neat office structure, and your Google Drive files are orderly packaged divided in delicately named and nested folders this competence means concern. The Zoho Docs Google Drive record selector ignores your folders and simply displays all of your files. This means you’ll substantially spend a lot of time up-front locating files we wish to associate with Google Drive. If we have a ton of files, this could be a problem.
SEE: Cost comparison tool: Google Apps vs. Office 365 (Tech Pro Research)
Give Zoho Writer a try
Bottom-line if you’ve hesitated (because we need Google Drive) to give Zoho Writer a try, we rarely suggest we make this tie and spend some time with Zoho’s tool. It’s value a effort. You competence even find Zoho Writer to be distant higher to a competition.
- How to simply pointer papers and ask signatures with Zoho Sign (TechRepublic)
- How to implement and use a Zoho Docs desktop client (TechRepublic)
- Google Drive paid consumer storage skeleton turn Google One (ZDNet)
- Manage your contacts with Zoho’s absolute new tool (TechRepublic)
- Zoho Writer: A plain apparatus to emanate papers on your Android tablet (TechRepublic)
- Zoho during a crossroads: Stepping adult means stepping out (ZDNet)