For many of us, Google storage is a modern-day tough drive. It’s a place where a many critical thoughts, documents, and memories reside. But only like with a normal tough drive, a space isn’t infinite, and using out of room can be a genuine problem.
By default, Google gives we 15GB of space to use for all compared with your account. (If we have a paid G Suite account, your limit’s likely higher.) That includes calm connected to Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Photos (if you’re saving your photos during full resolution). Needless to say, information adds adult fast.
You can check your stream storage standing by visiting this page, and if pull comes to shove, we can squeeze some-more space there, too, for as small as $2 a month for an additional 100GB. But shelling out some-more income competence not be necessary. A discerning turn of out-of-date housekeeping could be adequate to transparent divided your practical cobwebs and give yourself copiousness room to grow. Here’s how to do it.
Delete Drive debris
Google Drive is a common place for space-sucking files to build adult and wear down your quota, yet tidying things adult doesn’t take long.
- Open this link, that will uncover we a list of all of your Drive files sorted by distance with a largest equipment during a top.
- Look by a heftiest offenders, and undo anything we no longer need.
- Click a gear-shaped idol in Drive’s upper-right corner, and name “Settings,” followed by “Manage Apps.”
- For any apps that have a note about dark data, click a gray “Options” box to a right, and name “Delete dark app data.”
Apps compared with your Google Drive storage can infrequently have dark data, yet all it takes is a integrate of clicks to mislay it.
- Open your Drive Trash folder, click a word “Trash” during a tip of a page, and name a “Empty trash” option.
Free adult Photos storage
Unless we have a Pixel phone, each print and video corroborated adult to Google Photos during a full fortitude depends opposite your Google storage. You can giveaway adult tons of space by converting those files to Google’s giveaway and total “high-quality” option, that compresses images down to 16MP and videos to 1080p (a change that’s unlikely to be noticeable for many people and purposes).
- Go to a Photos settings page, and name “High peculiarity (free total storage).”
- On that same page, click a “Recover storage” button. That’ll restrict your existent photos and videos and mislay them from your Google storage quota.
Say goodbye to Gmail junk
Emails don’t take adult a ton of space, yet we know what does? Attachments. Odds are, you’ve got copiousness of aged attachments sitting in your Gmail comment that we don’t unequivocally need.
Here’s how to residence that:
- Go to a Gmail website and form “has:attachment larger:10M” into a hunt box during a top.
- Identify any messages with disposable attachments and undo them. (There’s no good approach to get absolved of an connection yet also deletion a compared email, unfortunately, yet we can always brazen a summary behind to yourself and manually mislay a connection before axing a original.)
- Open your Spam folder, and click a couple to “Delete all spam messages now.”
- Open your Trash folder, and name “Empty Trash now” to send all divided for good.
Feeling lighter is liberating, isn’t it?
Vox Media has associate partnerships. These do not change editorial content, yet Vox Media might acquire commissions for products purchased around associate links. For some-more information, see our ethics policy