Earlier this week, Samsung released an refurbish to a Bixby app for a Galaxy S8, S9, S10, Note 8, and Note 9 smartphones that finally addresses something we’ve been seeking for given Bixby’s debut: a ability to natively reprogram a hardware symbol on a side of a Samsung phone to do something other than only launch Bixby.
That’s right, we can now use a Bixby symbol to launch any series of apps, such as a camera, Twitter, Gmail, Google Maps, or whatever we want. But unfortunately, Samsung is restraint a ability to use it for a Google Assistant or other practical assistants, like Microsoft’s Cortana or Amazon’s Alexa. For that, you’ll still need to rest on a third celebration app.
Here’s how to remap a Bixby symbol to something some-more useful:
- Make certain your Bixby Voice app is up-to-date. You can check within a settings territory of a app itself or by Samsung’s Galaxy Apps store. You’ll need to be on chronicle 2.1.04.18 or after for this to work.
- Launch Bixby Voice and daub a 3 straight dots on right side of a screen. Click a Settings option.
- Scroll down to Bixby pivotal and daub to open a pattern options.
- Here we have an choice to set a pivotal to open Bixby on one press and a delegate duty on a double press, or clamp versa. Choose that choice we cite and afterwards daub a delegate duty to select that app to launch. Note that we can’t wholly invalidate a Bixby button; it has to be mapped to possibly a singular or double press.
- You can select to launch a specific app by drumming a spoke circle on a right. Or we can module a Bixby slight to run when we press a button.
- As you’ll see when we go to a app preference screen, there’s no approach to natively launch a Google Assistant with a Bixby button. To make that work, you’ll need to rest on a third-party app — a folks over during XDA Developers have combined one and put together stairs on how to make it work. Note that you’ll have to sideload a app, that comes with some confidence risks, so ensue during your possess risk.
That’s all there is to it — we now have a small some-more control over what a hardware buttons on your phone do. Hopefully, Samsung will urge this in a destiny and concede for local support of Google Assistant and a ability to wholly invalidate rising Bixby entirely. But for now, a symbol is somewhat some-more organic than before.
Vox Media has associate partnerships. These do not change editorial content, yet Vox Media might acquire commissions for products purchased around associate links. For some-more information, see our ethics policy.