On Thursday, Google suggested that Pixel 2 inclination will now softened deflect off insider attacks by an softened hardware confidence procedure that guards user information encryption keys, according to an Android Developers Blog post. This will assistance forestall inside enemy from installing scrupulously sealed antagonistic firmware on a confidence procedure of a mislaid or stolen device, a post said.
With a new confidence measures, hackers will not be means to ascent a firmware that checks a user’s cue but a scold password, a post noted. While a antagonistic celebration can still force an upgrade, such as by refurbishing a device for resale, doing so will clean a secrets used to decrypt a users data, that destroys it.
The combined confidence measures could boost a craving interest of a Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL phones, that already embody a AI-powered Google Assistant, all-day battery life, a high-quality camera, and other considerable features.
SEE: Encryption policy (Tech Pro Research)
Google had already rolled out encryption for all user information on Pixel devices. Secure hardware protects a encryption keys, and runs secure firmware, that checks a user’s cue to extend entrance to a user data, according to a post. Users can't decrypt a device if they do not have a right password, and can usually check a certain series of passwords before a device is locked.
The Android inclination also use digital signatures to forestall enemy from replacing a phone’s firmware with a antagonistic version. But hackers could still get around a signature checks to exercise antagonistic firmware by gaining entrance to a signing pivotal and removing their chronicle signed, so a device will accept it as a genuine update. Device makers have formerly attempted to strengthen these keys by storing them in secure locations, and restricting a series of people with access, a post said. However, that still leaves those people exposed to duress or amicable engineering attacks, formulating risk for users and their data—hence, a need for a new confidence updates.
“The Android confidence group believes that insider conflict insurgency is an critical component of a finish plan for safeguarding user data,” a post said. “The Google Pixel 2 demonstrated that it’s probable to strengthen users even opposite a many highly-privileged insiders. We suggest that all mobile device makers do a same.”
Device makers who wish to exercise insider conflict insurgency can strech out to a Android confidence group by their Google contact, a post noted.
The large takeaways for tech leaders:
- Google announced that a Pixel 2 inclination will softened deflect off insider attacks by an softened hardware confidence procedure that guards user information encryption keys.
- The new Android confidence facilities on a Pixel 2 phones could boost a craving interest of those devices.
- BYOD capitulation form template (Tech Pro Research)
- Buying a Pixel 2? Here’s what Google will give we for your aged iPhone (ZDNet)
- Google Pixel phone: The intelligent person’s guide (TechRepublic)
- Pixel, iPhone, Galaxy, oh my! Why compensate a reward when each phone runs a same apps? (ZDNet)
- Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL: Everything a pros need to know (TechRepublic)